Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Bloomin': 27-01-2015


Bloomin'
watercolor pencil on paper
27-01-2015

This is my take on an acrylic painting I saw at an art gallery in Myrtle Beach. I was attracted to the colors. My try doesn't do justice to the vibrancy of the original.

I have to say that the black I used is from a less expensive set of watercolor pencils and I can tell the difference! The color got very watery very quickly. You can see that it didn't cover as well as the 'good' ones. I would like to blend the black at the bottom a bit more but I think it will just get goopier and goopier. 

The red is a waxy watercolor crayon and its color is quite rich. I never would have gotten that red with one of the pencils in my set.


I may let this one rest and come back to it with a few tweaks. I am not sure if that will hurt or help... 

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried watercolor crayon, but I'd like to one day. So many art supplies, so little time! I think you've done very well getting vibrancy from watercolor pencils, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crayons really do pop the colors, Kathy. There is a brand called Caran D'Ache that makes some very good ones. You can buy sets of 10 up to 126. One of my watercolor instructors had us use a couple of the metallic colors as highlights. They are great fun...but not cheap. The full set of 126 runs about $200. The 10-piece set is maybe $20. And you can buy individual crayons as well - less than $2 each. Check out Blick or your local art store (my choice).

      Delete