Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Moorland: 14-01-2015


Moorland
watercolor pencil on paper
14-01-2015

This is an image I copied from a instruction book, Quick and Clever Watercolor Pencils, by Charles Evans. I followed step by step but wasn't pleased with the results. Then I started messing around with the painting to add more contrast and then put in those squiggly black lines in the foreground. I guess that is why they call it 'messing around' as it makes a mess. Oh, well. His book is quite helpful. He lightly pencils in the image he wants with a soft grey watercolor pencil and those lines disappear when he adds water in making the painting. I will try another one another day.

2 comments:

  1. That's what this experiment is all about--experimenting! I like using watercolor pencils, but they don't mix well the way true watercolors do. I'll have to look for this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have better control of the image with the pencils but they are taking some getting used to. Once again, I may not be using a top of the line brand, but the set I have is pretty good. There are some waxy watercolor crayons that I like but they are fat and not as comfortable to hold for smaller work. Experimenting? Oh, yes!

      Delete