Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Tao of Trees: 18-01-2015



The Tao of Trees
watercolor on paper
18-01-2015

This is from a lesson in The Tao of Watercolor by Jeanne Carbonetti. First a wash on wet of yellow and green. Let dry and spray and add a second wash of blue, green and yellow. Let dry. Paint in the tree trunks and branches (on dry) with small brush and rigger. Splatter.

I like the mystery of the open space and how the splatters give the impression of foliage. And how the trunks just appear and disappear. It makes me feel as if I am lying on my back and staring up through the leaves. It is a little dizzying!

2 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot--the softness of all the colors makes a nice effect. Splattering is fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite happy with how this one turned out, Kathy. Looking at it again, I see that perhaps I could go back in and get a little more contrast going on the trunks and branches.

      Delete